Being a parent is one of the greatest honors and privileges we get as God’s people here on earth. For those of us that have children in our care, it is an honor to have been chosen by God for this divine assignment! With this honor though, can come a wide range of emotions such as doubt, uncertainty, fear, and anger. You may have read all the books, blog posts, manuals and advice on how to parent well but still feel left with unanswered questions. Whenever you begin to seek wisdom from the internet, those around you, or your own strength, be reminded that He has given you all the direction you need in His Word.
The Bible is our greatest resource for raising our children up well. The Bible reminds us that God loves our children even more than we do and that His plans for them are bigger than we could ever hope or imagine. Anything you go through with them, any wisdom you seek in parenting them, any new seasons you step into together, be assured that when you offer up your child and their relationship with you to the Lord, He will carry you!
This begins with prayer. And not just pray when you’re in a difficult situation with your child or prayer before you eat a meal. This is a constant dialogue with the Lord. It’s simple prayers such as, “Lord, I’m overwhelmed because the house is a mess, and they are crying. I need your help.” Or, “Thank you, Jesus, for my children and this amazing time we’re having together.” It’s the unseen moments. The quiet moments.
Prayer is a powerful weapon when it comes to raising your children and parenting. Whether you have young kids that are still in your home, a son or daughter that have walked away from the Lord, stepchildren, a blended family or even are in the midst of praying for children of your own, God has a plan. He always does! God loves them even more than you do, God’s plans for them are bigger than you could ever hope or imagine, and in the end, your child belongs to the Lord. If you are reading this, be reminded today that God has brought you this far. He will not leave you now!
Five Scriptures for Parenting
“Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”Proverbs 22:6
“Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”Ephesians 6:4
“All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children”Isaiah 54:13
“Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.”Psalm 127:13
“Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.”Matthew 19:14
5 Prayers For Your Children
1. Lord, thank you for this child and all you have created them to be. I pray they always remember they belong to you and that you are always with them.
2. Lord, give me wisdom to parent the exact way you want me to parent. I pray for your guidance through every parenting situation and kind reminders that this is your child first.
3. Lord, I ask that you place your angels around my child. Protect them from harm and help them to make the right decisions.
4. Lord, I pray our family always goes to you first in every situation. Thank you for providing us with all the answers we need and for your presence that fills our home.
5. Lord, protect my child from any of the negative pressures placed on them in their life. Stir within them a desire to do your will and be transformed by your Word. I pray they grow up to change this world!